CALL FOR PAPERS
THE 59TH ANNUAL CONFERENCE OF THE AGRICULTURAL ECONOMICS ASSOCIATION OF SOUTH AFRICA
02-05 October 2022, Strand Hotel in Swakopmund, Namibia
Download Conference Information
The 2022 Annual Conference of the Agricultural Economics Association of South Africa (AEASA) will be hosted at the Strand Hotel in Swakopmund, Namibia from 02-05 October 2022. The conference programme contains a mix of invited panel sessions (parallel sessions), plenary sessions and contributed oral and visual presentations. The theme for this year’s conference is “How recent value chain disruptions shaped agri-food systems in sub-Saharan Africa”.
The Conference programme contains a stimulating mix of workshops, contributed papers and a poster session. It is designed to appeal beyond academia to agricultural economists in the public and private sectors, farm managers and agribusiness practitioners. Contributed academic papers will be presented in parallel sessions, which will be organised by ‘discipline commissions’ in the following areas;
· Agribusiness management and value chains
· Agricultural policy issues
· Agricultural finance and risk management
· Agricultural trade
· Agricultural technology, information, and big data
· Agricultural and rural development and land reform
· Consumer economics
· Environmental economics
Papers that link up to the theme within the various ‘discipline commissions’ will receive priority.
Submissions are invited for contributed papers and posters under the following categories;
Category 1: Contributed papers
These papers will go through a blind review process to determine suitability for oral presentation at the conference. No contributed papers will be considered as upgraded poster papers.
1. Papers should be submitted electronically as Microsoft Word documents to the following e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org
2. Papers must be written in English and must not exceed 6000 words (excluding the cover page and abstract).
3. Each paper must include a cover page with the name(s) of the author(s), their affiliation(s).
4. Each paper must include an abstract of not more than 250 words.
5. References, Tables and Figures must comply with Agrekon requirements obtainable from the AEASA website and published Agrekon journals.
Category 2: Contributed poster papers.
Poster papers will go through a blind review process to determine suitability for presentation at the conference. Authors are encouraged to consider poster papers as a means to communicate research findings.
1. Poster papers should be submitted electronically as Microsoft Word documents to the following e-mail address: email@example.com
2. Poster papers must be written in English and must not exceed 2500 words (excluding the cover page and abstract).
3. Each poster paper must include a cover page with the name(s) of the author(s), and their affiliation(s).
4. Each poster paper must include an abstract of not more than 250 words.
5. References, Tables and Figures must comply with Agrekon requirements.
The three best contributed papers and posters will be upgraded for presentation during plenary sessions of the 2022 AEASA conference. Only papers that were originally submitted specific to each category are eligible for upgrading, and for the AEASA awards.
By submitting papers, the authors understand that, if their paper or poster is selected, one or more of the authors will personally present at the conference and that such authors are liable to pay the full registration fee. The author also understands that they will have to review at least two (2) other papers submitted to the conference.
Please ensure e-mail addresses as submitted are correct, as these addresses will be used in all correspondence and acceptance notifications.
Successful authors for upgraded papers will be allocated a total of 20 minutes per paper for oral presentation and discussion. Upgraded posters will be allocated 15 minutes for oral presentations. Contributed papers will be allocated 15 minutes for presentations. All presentations should be prepared using Microsoft PowerPoint®.
The following topics have been identified for workshops.
· Workshop 1: Contemporary issues affecting Namibia’s agricultural trade.
· Workshop 2: Enhancing the Agricultural Economics profession to meet current and future industries’ skills demand.
· Workshop 3: Role of women in agriculture and how the African Continental Free Trade Agreement can close gender inequality?
· Workshop 4: Agricultural production and investment in Southern Africa.
· Workshop 5: Promoting regional value chains and investment opportunities post Covid-19 disruptions.
Proposals for workshops will be considered at the same time as Contributed Papers. Space on the program for these workshops is limited, and the conference invites no more than 5 of these sessions. All proposals must be submitted by 30 June 2022 through the conference submission e-mail.
Organisers of such sessions will need to submit details on participants and a brief description of the proposed workshop of interest. Proposals may include presentations that explore different, complementary aspects of an identified topic of interest. Proposals that involve discussants with different points of view will be of particular interest, as are proposals that involve analysis of new, exciting and important issues within the identified topic.
Deadline for submission of contributed and poster papers.
15 July 2022
Notice of acceptance/rejection of submission
30 July 2022
Deadline for early bird registration
15 July 2022
Regular registration deadline
30 August 2022
15 September 2022
Sunday 2 October 2022
Monday 3 October 2022
Oral sessions from 08.00–16.30
Networking event 18:00
Tuesday 4 October 2022
Oral sessions from 08.00–16:00
Gala Dinner 19:00
Wednesday 5 October 2022
Oral sessions 08:00-12:00
All delegates are required to register online at: https://www.abadmin.co.za/default2.php
For any other information, please refer to the AEASA website, or contact the 2022 Conference Organising Committee and Association Business Events at firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com
1. Dr Thinah Moyo
2. Mrs Petrie Vogel
Tel: +264 81 804 2006
+264 61 207 2331
Tel:+27 74 051 3318
For all accommodation bookings and enquiries, please contact Ms Kakunanganda Kustaa, Strand Hotel, Swakopmund: Kakunanganda.Kustaa@ol.na. In addition to Strand Hotel, several other options for accommodation are available in Swakopmund, such as the Swakopmund Hotel & Entertainment Centre.